Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Avocado Whipped Potatoes with Caramelized Onions

These were pretty good, all things considered. It was not a good night in the kitchen for me and I was in an all around funk at the time.


They weren't bad, just didn't WOW me like I'd hoped. I'll have to try them again and see for sure, but after going to the trouble to make them, I figured I'd go ahead and put them up, and you can judge for yourselves.

Apparently I forgot the low fat sour cream at the grocery store... not sure how that happened, I distinctly remember taking time to choose which brand to get. Whatev, it was only 3 tbsp., I'll just use some greek yogurt. No greek yogurt. Ugh. I went with Half & Half, which made them too runny. Don't do that. Just sayin.


Also, by the times I was putting it all together I was so discombobulated, I forgot the Sriacha all together, so I stirred some in before putting the leftovers in the fridge.

Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did when you try these. They still sound delicious to me, like I said, just a bad night in the kitchen for me.

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes
  • 1 small yellow onion
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 3 tbsp low-fat sour cream
  • 4 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 1/2 tbsp Sriacha sauce
  • 1 tbsp black pepper
  • 1-1/2 tsp salt
  • 1-2 avocados

Instructions:
  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the potatoes and let cook until soft (about 30 minutes).
  2. While potatoes are boiling, heat 2 tsp butter in a large skillet. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the onions, sauteing until they begin to soften (about 5 minutes). Note: Do not let the brown!
  3. Reduce the heat to low, cover and let the onions caramelize, stirring occasionally (about 15 minutes).
  4. When the potatoes are soft, add the remaining 1 tbsp butter, 3 tbsp sour cream, garlic, Sriacha, salt and pepper and whip with a whisk or hand mixer until smooth (about 2 minutes).
  5. Add the avocado slices a few at a time, continuing to whip, until you have your desired color and flavor.
  6. Top with caramelized onions to serve.




2 comments: