Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

My Favorite Fruit (and spinach) Smoothie

This makes 2 servings, a 24 oz. & a 16 oz. size. I usually drink the larger one for breakfast, and stash the other one in the fridge for a snack later in the day.

What I like most about this smoothie (besides the taste) is you can prep and stuff everything in a blender the night before and store it unlblended in the refrigerator, then in the morning just pop it on the base and you've got a smoothie for the road in less time than it takes to brew a cup of coffee.



Here's the calorie counts so you can customize and add up your total.

5 strawberries = 30
1 medium banana = 105
1 large kiwi = 56
1 naval orange = 69
1 cup organic baby spinach = 7
1 tbsp flax oil (highest lignans) = 110
1/2 cup 0%fat Greek yogurt = 70







Just blend it all together until smooth, and you're done!

If you drink this entire shake (which I sometimes do) it's a hefty amount of calories (total = 447 calories) for a liquid meal, but I'm okay with that because of the following:

1. It's first thing in the morning and I have all day to burn it off.
2. It's a drink, so it's easy to take in the car with you in the morning, which cuts down on "I don't have time for breakfast".
3. I get my fruits & veggies in for the day so I can check that off the list of things to think about.
4. I get the benefits of flax oil, and I sneak the innards of an MSM capsule in there too, which helps my hips and knees when I get on a regular workout routine.








If your smoothie is too thick, add a little bit of water... NOT juice because that will add more sugar.

If you like a thicker milkshake consistency throw a few ice cubes in.

Enjoy! Get fit, get healthy, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment