Total Pageviews

Monday, February 20, 2012

Tomato Basil Soup & Grilled Cheese


This is a classic, and who doesn't love tomato soup right? Okay, confession time. I don't. In fact, I hate it.

Tomato soup has always grossed me out. It feels to me like slurping up a bowl of ketchup, but I always wanted to like it... because it makes everyone else so happy.

Tonight was the night! I can't wait to make it again with more add ins, the possibilities are endless!





Okay, grilled cheese. Yes, it's just a grilled cheese, but there are a zillion
ways to make one. I wanted to tie mine in with the tomato soup. This is what I used.

From there, it's a grilled cheese. You know what to do.






Now on to the tomato basil soup. Here's what you'll need:
  • 1-28 oz can diced or crushed tomatoes
  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoon of sweetener of your choice, agave nectar, honey, maple syrup, etc....
  • basil (to taste)
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 cup whipping cream

Combine all ingredients except the cream in a blender, and puree.
Once blended, add cream and blend.
Transfer to a saucepan and heat slowly, being careful not to let it boil, the cream will scorch.








Here we have the finished product, and I'm happy to report that I now LOVE tomato soup, and you just can't go wrong with grilled cheese.
















And BONUS! Look was was leftover for the freezer!

I don't see any reason why I can't freeze this, according to the ingredients. I'm going to give it a whirl, and when I thaw and reheat it, I'll let you know.

1 comment:

  1. So perfect for a lazy Saturday! I'm glad you're a tomato soup convert now.

    ReplyDelete