Total Pageviews

Friday, February 10, 2012

Leftover buttermilk?

YES! You can freeze buttermilk!

No recipe here, just a tip. Maybe I'm a little more excited about this than I should be, but you have no idea how much buttermilk has gone down my sink because I just didn't know.


I bought buttermilk for my cornbread muffins, but the smallest amount they had in the store was a quart, and I only needed 1/2 a cup.

I did some research and found that you CAN freeze buttermilk.

I'm guessing I'm only going to need 1/2 cup or so at a time, so I poured mine into ice cube trays to freeze them so I can take out as much or little as I need.

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about buttermilk, and then some.

  1. Buttermilk will last up to 2 weeks due to its high acidity level, although it's best the first week.
  2. Once opened, it should be used within a week for drinking, but will be fine for baking even after the expiration date.
  3. Like milk, buttermilk can be frozen up to 3 months, but it is not recommended for drinking once frozen and thawed because it tends to separate.
  4. To thaw, let buttermilk sit in the refrigerator and be sure to mix it well to reincorporate the solids with the liquids.

No comments:

Post a Comment